October 17, 2008

Matthew turns the BIG 5!!! Woo hoo!


We celebrated Matthew's 5th birthday this last weekend! What happened to the first five years of his life... It seems that just yesterday he was a little 2lb. 3oz. 14in little baby! He is doing so well now, doing school at home, learning so much, including things like sign language, reading is starting to come along, and his inquisitive mind never stops.
I see this amazing, unique kid, and it blows my mind to watch him and
think about the man of God he will be when he's grown! He is already such a "big picture" thinker!
One day his friend from next door invited him over to play. This is his best, best friend in the whole world, her name is Roni, she is 8 and Matthew is absolutely smitten with her! He goes over to play at her house and she comes over to our house quite a bit too. They play video games together and stuff... anyways. One day I was vistitng with Roni's parents and they were like, we just love Matthew! I said, yah, he is quite the kid! The dad looks at me and says, does he want to know everything about everything or what?! I am like, uh yah, I say like 500,000 words a day to answer all his scientific questions... they just laughed and thought that I was exagerating. A few weeks later, the dad sees me and he is like, Sharrie, you weren't kidding about the questions! It is funny, Matthew and him just sit out on his porch sometimes and talk, I watch them from the window and he is just sitting there asking this guy about everything. They laugh, joke around, it is pretty hilarious. I have always said that Matthew is really an old soul. His passion and zest for life is very rare and special. I am really partial I know, but if you have ever been around him, you will know what I am saying! Ha! :)

Lighting 'em up! Matthew is obsessed with birthday cake, this cake was made out of an old like cake decorating book, that my mom had in her cupboard. He saw the picture and was like, that is exactly what I want my cake to look like, get this, he has been planning this party for at least four months~!
Momma attempting to make her son be the awesome clown he wanted to be! :)
Matthew's clown buddies: Christian (his awesome babysitter) and Hailey (his adorable cousin)

Matthew checking himself out in the mirror, looking at the job momma did!
This picture has quite the story... this was taken about 4 hours before Matthew was born! It was a beautiful fall day, I am wearing a tank top and skirt! In this picture my mom is like, Sharrie, before you leave let me get a progress shot of your pregnancy. This was nothing new, my mom took quite a few of them! At this point though I am not really feeling good, I had started to get a "stomach ache", had some bowel issues and then said, I better go back to work and wrap my day up, maybe I am getting sick. I was actually at my moms house training her on paperwork for my job, she was going to do my job while I was on maternity leave!!!! I was working as a case worker for adults with disabilities in our county. I was walking out the door as she took this picture...
... AND five hours later, I believe, this is Matthew in the NICU, on oxygen, intubated, under the lights for jaundice, and all the other wires and tubes for observation and monitoring.
The proud daddy with his son!
This is when I got to meet our son... 36 long hours after Matthew was born I managed to get my self vertical and in a wheelchair to get me to the NICU! I was like, get me off this morphine, I would like to meet my baby!!! :) Oh and what a moment... I can not even describe it! What a miracle, what a joy~!
Check out how big his binkie was to him!
"holding" my sons hand... and still holding on!

No comments: